Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895? Look over the following questions and find out.
This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina, Kansas, USA. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, KS, and reprinted by the Salina Journal.
8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, KS -1895
Grammar (Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of"lie,""play," and "run."
5. Define case; Illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
Arithmetic (Time, 125 minutes)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find the cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.
Orthography (Time, one hour) Do we even know what this is?
1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.' (HUH?)
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8 Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.
Note: This exam took FIVE HOURS to complete. Gives the saying "he only had an 8th grade education" a whole new meaning, doesn't it? And shows clearly how much education has been 'dumbed down' today!
Other Commentaries by Sharon Hughes
New Year Resolutions & Money
Where Is The Hope?
Confessions Of A Reluctant Prepper
Leave A Lasting Legacy
Worldviews Do Matter
Where Are The Entertainment Police?
Let's Talk Money
Stupor Tuesday & March Madness
Disappointment After Planned Parenthood Was Been Exposed
Take Your Place In The Public Square, Please!
The 'Silent Shame' Many Women Face
Jews Speak Up For Christmas!
Remembering The John Kerry Of A Few Years Back
Time To Rise Up & Take A Stand!
The Difference Between Socialism & Communism
The "Evolving" Gay Marriage Debate
Al Gore Promoter Of Doomsday Cult?
What Does It Mean To Love Your Country?
Tears Of A Grateful Nation
The Unthinkable Is Never A Solution
Unbelievable Population Control Quotes By The 'Elite'
Climategate & Copenhagen
What's In The Healthcare Bill?
Envision All Women Free!
Money Management Not Madness!
How To Survive The Insanity
Bill Maher Still Ranting On Religion And Politics
A Thanksgiving Legacy
Make Veterans Day Memorable
Not Your Father's Democrat
Al Gore Evoking The Wrath Of God To Validate His Claims
Sf Mayor Ecstatic Over Gay Marriage
Obama's "Typical White Person" Ought Oh!
Barack Obama's Very Controversial Pastor
What's With All The Candidate 'Faith Talk'?
Gays Mock Jesus & The Last Supper
Throw Away Babies
Al Gore Lobbying For The Nobel Peace Prize
Why Roe Vs. Wade Is Losing Ground
Responses To ‘Ahmadinejad’S Letter’
Ahmadinejad’S Letter To America
Raising Pagan Children, Scary
'Five Pillars Of Islam’ Vs. The Pope In Schools
True Colors Of Bigotry Busting Out All Over The Place!
War In Iraq Who Is Telling The Truth?
Anti Semitism On The Rise In Europe. Scary!
Preschool For All Initiative, What 'Meathead's' Not Telling You
Terrorism & Our Canadian Border
Teachers Debate Teaching Creationism
Left Wing Gives Ammo To Conservatives
Carter's At It Again
Gay Marriage Where Do Teachers Stand?
A Hamas Win Bad For Israel
Jews Speak Up For Christmas
New York Times Accepts The Unacceptable
Court Gone Mad! 9th Circuit Court Rules Against Parents
Red Alert On Codepink!
Media Fails To Report On Anti War Group's 'Letter From God'
What The Blinkity Blink Is Going On With The Liberal Msm?
Anti Military, Recruitment & Our Youth
Katrina Blows Sheehan, Gay Marriage Off The Screen
Real Racism, Katrina And More...
Yesterday Japan's Surrender. Today Jews Being Forced To...
Ny Times Only Tells Half The Story On Sheehan's Statements
Adult Vs. Embryonic Stem Cell Researh
Is This The End Of The Eu?
A New Face For Gay Pride
Absentee Dads A National Crisis?
The Effects Of Evolution's Racist Roots On Students
From Sci Fi To Sci Fact
To Spit Or Not To Spit, On Jane Fonda That Is The Question
Brave New World Re Visited?
These Are The Times (And Tough Questions) That Try Men's Souls
A Look Back
The Unanswered Questions Of Stem Cell Research
Gore Criticizes Bush's Faith
Compulsory Mental Health Screening Is Coming
Truth, Truth, Where Art Thou?
Stem Cell Wars & The Presidency
Traditional Marriage Wins In California
America Looks At The Wives
The John John Ticket Richest In History
Cloning Cats Schwarzenegger's 'Sixth Day' Has Arrived
'Memorial Day A Time To Remember
'Day Of Silence' Just A Foot In The Door
Anti American Professors
Crooked And Straight Cops
When Idols Fall
The Battle Over The "C" Word
The Pc (Political Correctness) Police
ON THE AIR
SUNDAYS 3-5:00pm PST
Tune in to KMYC 1410AM
LISTEN LIVE ONLINE HERE
SUNDAYS 10am-12Noon MTN
Tune in to KYAH 540AM
LISTEN LIVE ONLINE HERE
SATURDAYS & SUNDAYS 6-8:00am & 10am-Noon EST
SUNDAYS 3-5:00pm PST
MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY & SATURDAY
LISTEN HERE 24/7
News in Quotes
"The United States is designating North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism,” “Should have happened a long time ago." -Pres. Trump
You Gotta Be Kidding! Quote
“The fact of the matter is without communication, we have no way of knowing of you are sentient or not,” the unidentified student said. “It’s no different than this tree. It’s alive, but is it sentient? I don’t know. I cannot communicate with it.” -Student At Tennessee University
Read along with us!
Questions: Email email@example.com
"I so appreciate all you do to help keep us informed." -Kris Seidler
"Truth Woman! Truth has fallen in the streets; we need the Belt more than ever!!" -Steve Simpson
"My reception is not very good so I have my ear plastered against the radio trying to catch every word!" -Sara Haskins